December 23, 2017 / Lifestyle
Today, I’m a believer that the ukulele makes dramatic music. Meet Rina Landers she’s a pianist, drummer, guitarist, and a lover of music who plays the ukulele with such elegance. The strumming of the ukulele and her voice was captivating. During our photo session, several people stop by to see it all unfold. She enjoys playing this instrument with passion and emotion it was a delight to photograph her craft.
“He took his pain and turned it into something beautiful. Into something that people connect to. And that’s what good music does. It speaks to you. It changes you.” – Hannah Harrington
Questions & Answers
1. Tell me about a favorite scene from your favorite movie? This is a very difficult question for me since I have so many favorites! A movie that stuck with me over the summer was “La La Land.” I was in awe the entire movie from beginning to end and my heart felt so full! My two favorite scenes from the movie were the intro number, and the scene where Ryan and Emma’s character’s eyes meet as he walks up on stage in his new jazz club named Sebs. The scene shows an alternate life where Sebastian and Mia end up getting married and what it would’ve been like. The scene ends with Sebastian finishing his performance, and Mia and her husband promptly leaving Sebs after a smile and a nod of approval is exchanged between Mia and Sebastian. We often think about the “What if’s” and this scene was the perfect example of something not going according to plan and everything turning out okay. It also sent a message never to stop chasing your dreams for anyone, even someone you love. There may be a lingering sadness even after the success but life happens at its own pace and timing is everything.
2. What’s the most interesting thing about you we wouldn’t learn from your resume or social media? I’m a huge nerd haha! I like anime, I read mangas and comic books, play World of Warcraft with my husband and grew up on Marvel and D.C. Comics and still hold it near and dear to me. I also have a rather obscure taste in music and have a separate playlist for when my parents or friends are around.
3. Women are CREATIVE and COURAGEOUS! Please share one/two words you would use to describe women and why? We are IMMENSE and BOUNDLESS! I chose these two words because each and every woman is capable of achieving great things on a limitless scale! The sky is not the limit. Go beyond the sky! Find your own universe, create your own world! Life has so much to offer and it’s never too late to learn new things, nurture a skill and to kick ass at something.
4. What are your top five songs you can play using the ukulele?
My top songs:
“Can’t Stop Falling in Love” – Elvis Presley
“Island in the Sun” – Weezer
“Moon Song” – Karen O
“Riptide” – Vance Joy
“Let It Be” – The Beatles
5. Who Are Your Musical Influences? Why? One of my biggest musical influences are Norah Jones and Ella Fitzgerald, the Queen of Jazz! I started listening to Norah and Ella when I was in the 2nd grade! It was like love at first sight when I found Norah’s “Come Away With Me” album and a few of Ella’s in my dad’s collection and heard their powerful, low and husky yet soft and smooth jazzy voices. In that moment I also fell in love with jazz and wanted to pursue and incorporate that style into my singing. As for my ukulele and guitar playing, I don’t really get a playing style from a specific artist, but I get my influence from blues and folk acoustic style music.
BONUS! What should every woman try at least once in her life? I think every woman should challenge themselves to step out of their comfort zones as do something they’ve said they’d never do or can’t do. I also challenge every woman to try something alone! Whether it’s a class, a new restaurant, a festival, etc.! You might be surprised by the end result after spending quality time with yourself.